Sunday, May 10, 2009

Priorities.

So I'm sitting in the library, three stories below ground on this wonderful day. I am studying like I am supposed to, and I started thinking about how other people have better work ethic than I do. I mean don't get me wrong, my work ethic isn't bad by any means, but I can not motivate myself to skip out on sleep to prepare for an exam. I would rather take the point deduction.

That got me thinking about how those other people are, aside from their work ethic. I was thinking about how their drive to do well affected their overall health and social lives. Then I went even broader and just thought about what type of person they were in the most general sense I could think of.

The conclusion that I came to, is that I have much different priorities than most of the other students at this school. For example I am not going to any upper level schooling after my undergrad (this is more than enough schooling for me). Well, unless my firm requires and offers to fund a business degree as to allow me to assume a managerial position at a firm. That is beside the point. The point is, that unless I am in the top .001% of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineers in the nation, my GPA doesn't really matter all that much. Their GPA will since most of these extremely driven people are going to medical or graduate school.

Some might try to say that your GPA reflects how much you have learned at the institution, but I beg to differ when it comes to my school specifically. At my school the average GPA of a graduating ChemBE is a 2.7, which is a B-. It is the lowest average GPA at my school, three years running. This would mean, based on simple percentages that the student only grasped 67.5% of the material that was presented to him/her. For one to believe that this majority of students, who made it through the entire program and were weeded out of 14,000 other applicants, who were all at the top of their respective classes, only four years earlier, are in some way, shape, or form intellectually incapable in one respect or another is ridiculous. I refuse to believe my grades reflect my knowledge of the material because I know that I have learned so much. The grade reflects how quickly and accurately you can recall the information in a designated amount of time. That is all.

Got a little off track lol. What I am trying to say is that, I would much rather not have to kill myself to be able to learn the material in such a way that is unnecessary. I would much rather sleep, have friends, be happy, have a social life, and be able to look back on my college experience and say that it was totally worth my time and that I have no regrets. Up to this point in time, I think I have been "doin' my thang" in such a way that would allow me to feel that way one day. To me, that prospect alone is much more valuable than any numerical measurement of learned material.

I just can't help but think that some of these people are wasting their college experience in the library, and I don't know if I am right, so I can't exactly tell them what to do. It just makes me feel bad to think that someone might be letting grades seem more important than they actually are, and then have that illusion ruin their college experience. It's supposed to be the best four years of your life. I am going to make sure mine are. :).

I don't know if anyone agrees with me, but I guess I don't care really. I guess they don't care if I agree with them either. Maybe getting really good grades is what makes them happy. That's totally cool. I just think its amazing how two people can feel so incredibly differently about this kind of thing. I find it extraordinarily interesting.

Well enough thinking about this, I have to go study!

No comments: