Monday, February 8, 2010

Listen up.

Hey guys, long time no talk...

For the past half a year I would say that I've been ducking in and out of the cyber world for whatever reason, always apologizing along the way.  I get messages telling me to make more videos or write in my blog, most of which I ignore.  I've just started to realize recently that I was way too worried with disappointing people I had never met.  That's just crazy.  There is not logical reason why I should be worried about whether or not someone whom I've never met and probably will never meet likes/dislikes me.

I'm taking a class on Positive Psychology, very educational.  I'm thinking about my life in a very different way.  One thing I'm doing is completely letting go of this ridiculous and unnecessary worries that I have. You would be astounded if I you heard some of the things that stress me out on a daily basis.  Unfortunately, this blog and youtube fall into this category.  I'm not saying that I'm not still gonna come write here.  I'm just saying I no longer feel any sense of obligation, which I still can't believe I had in the first place.  Both of these things should be things that I do when I want to.  I shouldn't force myself.

So that is what I came here to say.  I will still be coming to this blog to vent and inform but there won't be anymore apologies for extended absences.  The same goes for youtube.  No more apologies, no more worrying.  If the mood strikes me, I will act on it.  I don't know why it took a class to make me realize that unnecessary stress is a bad thing but whatever.

Either way, I'm happier.  I'm getting rid of all the superfluous things in my life, especially things that don't make me happy.  Lifting, for example, is another casualty of this change.  I hate lifting.  I love swimming, bikram yoga, and playing racquet sports.  That is plenty of working out.  I don't need to be overly muscular to be happy.

I'm currently reading a book called "Happier".  It has been the catalyst of most of these changes.  I'm not saying its a cure-all, it takes a lot of self evaluation.  It's a great start though.  Actually I'll give you a little test to see if you should/might want to read the book.  If you had an hour right now where you had nothing to do (no work, chores, errands, etc), what would you do to make yourself happy in that hour?

When my professor gave us the last hour of class to do this, it took me a half hour to think of one thing that I could do right then that would make me happy.  That's a scary thought.  All of the things that I do during the day were exactly the things I had listed above: chores, errands, work, schoolwork...  I don't care how busy you are, even just taking a minute to think about what makes you happy will be extremely beneficial.

I'm on my way to a happier life.  Oh yeah, one other thing.  This type of psychology is not for the mentally disturbed or distraught, its for the average joe.  Its meant to take a normal person and lift them up, make them even happier than they think they already are.  It's a great thing.

I'm not saying I am by any means and unhappy person, but why not be happier?

No comments: